There is a Buddhist proverb, when the student is ready teacher will appear.
Out of a list of one hundred I selected three. How to Steal Like an Artist was way above the other two. I read it in one sitting. What followed next, as they say, is history.
In the book, Austin Kleon suggests ten transformative principles to inspire creativity:
- Steal like an artist
- Don’t wait until you know who you are to get started
- Write the book you want to read
- Use your hands
- Side projects and hobbies are important
- The secret: do good work and share it with people
- Geography is no longer our master
- Be nice (the world is a small town)
- Be boring (it is the only way to get work done)
- Creativity is substraction
None of these ideas were original. I had heard them before. But what they did was to give me permission to go ahead and just do it. I have already implemented five of them and working on the rest.